This resource is designed to support teachers to embed an inquiry approach in their practice. They can guide their learners through an inquiry process at the level that will work best for them and their learners. It’s a great way to introduce the students to the approach, and have them experience it regularly so they can gain increasing independence throughout the year.
It is based on the 5D Inquiry Approach that has learners:
- DEFINE: the key learning to come from the inquiry and the creative, critical or affective end task they will frame their inquiry around
- DO: choosing a way to DO something with their learning which will have them going beyond just information to growing deeper understanding as they apply their knowledge & understanding in a creative, critical or affective end task.
- DISCOVER: the knowledge that’s needed to build understanding and complete their end task
- DEEPEN: identifying and carrying out deeper thinking to complete the task effectively
- DECIDE: the parts of the curriculum that have been covered or will be met from the inquiry, and how they link to both other areas and where the students are currently at.
The approach is non-linear and in one journey, learners will dip in and out of all 5 stages at different points depending on their prior knowledge and the complexity of the task. It’s not a linear process to follow. It’s just the 5 essential elements that they will need to think about, at least once, during their journey. With this resource, teachers can:
- use it themselves to ensure they’re adopting an inquiry approach
- teach their learners the key parts to an inquiry approach
- have their learners working independently on the appropriate level for them
- create a display with their learners, with supporting tools & resources to help them become more independent in their inquiry
4 Levels to Using an Inquiry Approach
- Product Code: 5D Model
- Availability: In Stock